Sunday, August 27, 2006

Less Cash, More Splash

As move in day looms closer still and I begin to stress about packing, I figured I'd share my passion for decorating with you. I don't claim to be a good decorator or anything, but I'm thinking that I'm pretty ok at putting together a cohesive room on a budget. I have to say that Kim's kitchsy oriental room looked great and was remarkably cheap. We ended up using a set of bamboo patio blinds spray-painted black and trimmed in chopsticks painted red as her head board. How fun is that? But now that it comes time to do my own room, I'm getting a little anxious. I don't have much of a plan. Aside from colors. Brown and turquoise. I pulled them from my lovely ikat quilt from Target. The pictures just don't do it justice. Other then that I think I'm trying to get an ethnic look, although no particular ethnicity. My furniture situation is a little interesting. I bought this bed and the matching night table from Walmart, which is great, perfect, and exactly what I was looking for. It and the desk I got are, however, a bit modern. Do modern and ethnic go? They're going to have to. Then the real problems start. I have this great antique oak dresser that's just sitting at home not really doing much and instead of buying a dresser, I'm going to bring that one. But in my head it SO DOESN'T WORK. So hopefully either a) it won't look as bad as I think it's going to b) it will fit in the closet or c) I can come up with some fabulous way to make it match. I'll let you know how to goes.

My next major concern is a lack of flat surfaces. I want to keep them relatively clutter free. I'm trying to get more of a simple, clean look here. A lot of the pieces I want in my room to give it that ethnic flare, however, happen to need a place to go. Fortunately my desk comes with that nifty little shelf. I just hope that'll be enough space, along with my night table and possibly dresser top unless it goes in the closet.

Anyway, as I'm sure you're aware, I'm super excited about moving. I've been doing really well on my budget considering I had to buy furniture for my room, everything for my bathroom, etc. My whole living space is pretty much courtesy of Walmart, Target, and Value City with the exception of a few items. It's the way to go.

Things I most love about my new apartment: hardwood floors, ginormous window in my bedroom, dishwasher, washer & dryer, roommate that comes with a bunny :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure it will look beautiful, hon. ;) You have such good decorating skills. I think I might have to employ you as my personal decorator when I become a famous producer. Oh, and my personal nurse. And... well, we're not going there. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Caitlin, I can't thank you enough for how incredibly AMAZING my asian themed room came out! Everyone at school was so jealous! If only you could come do my new but incredibly boring, white, white apartment. And as far as keeping the clean, simple, organized look goes, I have one word for you - Ikea. Every girl moving into a new apartment needs to make a trip. They even have these cool new set-up apartments that are designed to show you how to live in small square footage. Major organization and space-saving solutions. And they have stuff that would go with your ethnic theme also. Promise.