Friday, May 25, 2007

Failing to Save the World

I've been realizing more and more lately that I really need a new pair of sneakers (or tennis shoes if you live in the part of the country that doesn't count). I've always hated my current sneakers. They're Nike walking shoes and in addition to their tendency to rip the skin off the back of my heels, they make me feel really bad since they were produced by some exploited child sweatshop worker. I decided that instead of just getting another pair of whatever is cheap, that I wanted to get some sweatshop free sneakers. Little did I know what a task that would be. Basically every brand you could possibly think of makes at least some of their shoes in China. Including New Balance which everyone thinks is an American company. Granted, New Balance is probably more responsible then some of their competitors, but it's still not the ideal solution I was looking for. Everything I've read seems to suggest that Saucony's are ok, but I can't really get any information either way. Timberlands also come recommended but their only sneaker-like shoe is really more a low hiker. I just want a pair of sneakers with decent arch support and some degree of shock absorption for walking and going to the gym. Aside from those options, the next best thing seems to be the european made spider sneaker from vegetarian shoes. You can check it out here. The problem is I would like to see them before I buy them and MooShoes only has a location in New York. So maybe I'll be going up there one day. I do kind of feel like a bit of an extremist to be buying from a company called MooShoes though. I guess I'm just put out that someone who is trying to be socially responisble can have such a hard time doing it. It's kind of frustrating to do hours of research just to be left with the choice of lesser evils. It's sad that no company wants to stand up, be a little transparent, and say hey we try to treat our workers fairly. None of this "it meets the local regulations and standards" crap. I have to make a decision soon though because I can't stand ripping up my heels anymore!

No comments: