Sunday, September 17, 2006

How could they?

Immigration is a very politically, and sometimes emotionally charged issue in this country. I know how I feel, and I'm sure you know how you feel. But regardless of how you feel, this article has to break your heart. I'm afraid that as a nation (and when I say nation I mean white nation) we're starting to become almost fanatical about preserving ourselves from the outside invaders. And we're willing to go to great lengths to remove them. Personally, I just don't see the harm that these people, illegal or not, have on our nation. They are simply looking for the same thing we all are. A better life for themselves and their children and their families. And they work harder then any of us ever have to get it. Yes, I suppose they do sometimes but a strain on our social services system, but if we all weren't such tight wads and looked out for the good of our fellow man as we should, that wouldn't be such an issue. I read another blog on this article in which the author was cheering the increase in wages. But what about all those business that are going to have to close now because they don't have anyone to buy their products? I'm not an economist, but I don't know how anyone could possibly look at this as some sort of victory. What happened there is a tragedy. It's sad, it's awful, and it makes me want to cry. Just another reason I'm not proud to be an American.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, it is sad. I don't know. The whole immigration thing is so complicated. And living in LA, where 48 percent of the population is Latino/Mexican immigrants, well, it becomes even more complicated. I'm all for them immigrating here if they want to; I just oppose their President's stance (a year or so ago he wanted the US to have an open border so Mexicans could come and go as they please, come into our country, work, and take the money back to Mexico, which I know happens on a regular basis, but I think we need to keep it from becoming too widespread, or our economy will deflate like a balloon.). I also get a little heated when they get mad at me for not knowing Spanish, and tell me I'm stupid for not knowing it. I mean, yes, go ahead, use your mothertongue, you have a right to that, but English is my mothertongue, thank you. I know I should learn Spanish, ugh (I don't look forward to it b/c I took classes in 6th grade and my teacher made fun of me b/c I couldn't roll my "r"s). And I need to learn Japanese for my job. Guess I need to enroll into one of the many colleges out here part-time? Or maybe I'll get those tapes they would advertise on Nickelodeon back in the day, Muzzy!! ;) Hope you're doing well otherwise.