Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The End is Near

This is my nursing pin. My Seton Hall University nursing pin. It's white gold.

This will be pinned to me at my pinning ceremony in roughly 48 days. This means the end is in sight! I looked up the history of nursing pins today and, according to Wikipedia, the ancestor of nursing pins is the Maltese Cross which has been used since the First Crusade. I'm not so fond of this. The pinning ceremony is a nursing tradition that traces its roots back to 1880 and the first Florence Nightingale School of Nursing in America. Nursing pins have become a symbol of professional status as well as a way to declare which nursing school you attended. Each school has their own unique design and coloring. I didn't expect to be as excited about my pin, but when I got it in class on Monday, I completely fell in love. I think it represents everything that all the frustration, all the work, all the lack of sleep, and all the stress has helped me achieve. I can't wait to actually wear it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, dear! You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Vernon at Nursing Pins.