Friday, September 14, 2007

The Latest and Greatest

I've actually gotten to do a fair amount of reading recently and I wanted to give you a quick rundown on what I've been reading, what's on my to read list, and why.

1. The C.S. Lewis Signature Collection-
It's kind of lousy of me to take the high road on the very first one, but I will. This isn't one book but a collection of 6 of C.S. Lewis' best works. Yes, that's the same guy who wrote The Chronicles of Narnia. He also happens to be a great Christian apologetic. I have to say that C.S. Lewis is one of the most intelligent, witty, easy to understand writers I have ever read. Everything he writes just makes me say, "Oh! So that's what that means!" The man is truly brilliant. He answered questions of faith that I didn't even realize I was asking. Best of all, he does it in a way that is simultaneously ingenious and simple. If you've ever had a question of faith, C.S. Lewis is your go-to man. He wasn't one of those people who believed his whole life. He really struggled with his faith and I think we can all find common ground in that. My two personal favorites from the collection are Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain. I still have one left, A Grief Observed, but I heard it from good authority that it's quite good as well.

2. Living History by Hillary Clinton-
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. It started off a little slow, but quickly became truly fascinating. Hearing everything that went on during Bill Clinton's presidency from Hillary's perspective was insightful and eye-opening. Her passion for women and children's issues really took the forefront. I didn't realize all of the work that Hillary had done on behalf of women and children in this country and abroad. The more I read, the more I resonated with what she had to say. I finished this book with a profound appreciation for Hillary Clinton and the work that she has done and the beliefs that she has worked so hard to champion. Whatever people may say about her, her passion for and knowledge of marginalized people is to be respected.

3. Pathologies of Power by Dr. Paul Farmer-
I know I've talked about this book a few times on this blog, but I have to say I can't get enough of it. There is so much more to some political conflicts then we can ever know. Paul Farmer isn't afraid to tell the truth, whatever it may. No one is safe, liberal or conservative, if they are not on the side of the poor. Farmer carefully defines structural violence and gives tangible, real life examples of how that concept is lived out across the world. Intelligent man, intelligent ideas.

4. Freakonomics by Stephen D. Levitt-
This book answers all those questions you probably never even thought to ask, and maybe some you did. Does reading to your kids matter? They say no. I'm not entirely sure about their research methods (research can be easily manipulated after all and it all depends on how you define your variables). Overwhelming, the book had a definite wow factor. Swimming pools are more likely to kill kids then guns. And abortion is responsible for the drop in the crime rate. Curious? You should defiantly read it.

5. Giving by Bill Clinton-
I just purchased this book from Barnes and Noble over the weekend and I am so excited about reading it. I can't say I've ever really ran out and bought a new book, but this one I did. I really respect Bill Clinton and he talks about Paul Farmer. Too much for me to handle. The book is all about grassroots organizations and individuals who have made a positive difference in the world. I can't think of anything better to read then that. As soon as I'm done, I'll be sure to post a review. In the meantime, enjoy these reviews on Amazon.com.

So there you have it. Four books I read, one I didn't and really want to. Any other recommendations?

No comments: